High temp lock up

Power discussions, CPU and case temperature
Robert Yeatman

High temp lock up

Post by Robert Yeatman »

Hi,
We are testing a Fit-PC2 with our data acquisition system (DAS) and considering if we should return our other 3 Fit-PC2 systems we purchased for a refund or have them replace with the instant on version.

Our OS is WinXP Pro. Besides the DAS software we are also running the CoreTemp program to check the temperature. When running our DAS without graphics the processor is at about 15% usage and at about 72 degrees. The hard disk is at about 55 degrees.

When the DAS is displaying graphics the processor is at about 50% usage and the temperature goes up to 85 degree. The hard disk is at about 60 degree. On hot days (33 degree) the pc sometimes locks up.

I can modify the DAS to use reduce the graphics and thus decrease the work load on the processor but I wonder if the Fit-PC will keep running ok 24/7.

Are these temps normal? I read about a heat sink miss-alignment in the forum. Could ours also be miss-aligned? Would a large heat sink glued to the top of the case work to keep the temps down?
Thanks,
Robert

irads

Re: High temp lock up

Post by irads »

You are describing deltaT Tjunc to Tambient (= Aluminum case) of up to 25deg. This is abnormal and suggesting poor thermal coupling of CPU to the case.
I suggest you RMA this unit for re-assembly. You may test one of the other units. The said deltaT should be about 12deg at full load.

It is very unusual to bring the case to 60deg at 33deg ambient, unless it is placed in a confined space with no airflow, resulting in ambient rising above 33deg.

You can improve thermal tolerance with an SSD and a better thermally coupled unit.

We are soon going to offer an external heatsink for industrial applications.

costello

Post by costello »

When do you expect to have the external heatsink model available? Also, how much extra do you expect it to cost?

Thanks,
_James

irads

Post by irads »

External heatsink is in the works. I cannot specify availability date and price yet.

Chris

Post by Chris »

One other question about the planned external heatsink:

Is this something that existing fit-pc2 boxes will be able to use (by allowing the users to buy the heatsink separately and attach it themselves)? Or will the only option be to buy a fit-pc2 that comes with a heatsink already attached?

For those of us who already own the fit-pc2 and are concerned about heat generation, giving us the option to attach a heatsink to it would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Chris

irads

Post by irads »

We should receive prototypes soon. After evaluating ease of assembly we will decide if we offer the heat sinks separately.

Flying-Dutchman

Post by Flying-Dutchman »

irads wrote: We are soon going to offer an external heatsink for industrial applications.
Sweet! Sounds perfect... I hope this gets the full load temperature below 55 degree celcius on a summer day. (I would even mount a usb powered 5v fan on the sinks fins to get it cool enough)

Return to “Power and Heat”