fit-pc2 without case

Power discussions, CPU and case temperature
myfitpc

fit-pc2 without case

Post by myfitpc »

I have an old GameCube that doesn't work anymore, but love the case.

I want to put a fit-pc2 or the future fit-pc3 inside it for HD playback, vintage games and light browsing on the plasma.

Without the case it would be easier for me to put it inside the GameCube without issues.

Though I don't know about any heat problems from removing the board from the case as the case itself seems to be the heatsink as well. I can use the GameCube's fan itself as it is a 12v DC fan and is already screwed to the case itself, but don't know how dangerous would it be without the stock case/heatsink.

Here it is a semi-desertic zone so temps. go all the way up to 38-40°C during the summer and already had a videocard that went bust when the fan started to fail and the GPU overheated, shuting down by itself to prevent damage when it hitted the max. temp. allowed by the GPU's probe.

Don't want to have the same problem with the fit-pc2 or if you can recomend me any heatsinks/fan combos that I can use. I really don't mind the noise as long as it keeps the CPU cool.

Cheers

irads

Re: fit-pc2 without case

Post by irads »

If the fan is right above the CPU you don't need a heat-sink.
If you attach a small Aluminum plate or a small heat-sink to the CPU it would be even better.

Return to “Power and Heat”